Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fun with Eggs


I bought two of these ... what do you call them? They're not pots or pans, but you put them on the stove. They're not bowls or plates, but you can serve food in them. One of you clowns must know what you call these things. Anyone?

No matter. What's important is that I bought two of them from a stall near the Egyptian Spice Bazaar in Istanbul, and they are handy little pieces of hardware. I'm sure they have many kitchen applications, but as of now I'm using them primarily for egg dishes. The Gaines kitchen will produce many variations on the scrambled-eggs-with-X theme during the coming months, so long as the summer heat doesn't shut me down.

Above is my first go, and I'm proud to say it's a hit. What we got here are two eggs, mixed with a bit of water and thrashed before pouring into a hot ... thing. Then, after letting the eggs cook for just a bit, in goes chicken basil sausage (sautéed beforehand), sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese. Toss in pinches of kosher salt and top-secret Turkish red pepper, and let the family slowly coalesce over medium-low heat. Next time I'll chop the sausage a bit smaller, but other than that, I'm happy as hell with dinner tonight.

|||||

Istanbul is overrun with stray dogs. I believe the city neuters/spays and tags them, and they're harmless, from what I've seen. (Although they don't fare too well on an F1 track.) So here's my question: How come I saw dog poo only once during my three weeks in Turkey, but I hop over it daily in Los Feliz?

|||||

I think I've finally readapted to citywide use of areas dedicated solely to pedestrian traffic. I think we call them sidewalks. Istanbul is lined with miles and miles of side streets that serve walkers and drivers. They're narrow and hilly, and the drivers couldn't care less if they hit you: caveat pedestrian. Every day, Karis, blessed with 180-degree vision, sensed cars coming up behind her and smoothly moved to the side. I, on the other hand, narrowly escaped death by Peugeot or Renault on an hourly basis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, you're thinking of "skillet" maybe. Secondly, what's with the fancy metal handles? I didn't think you were a fancy metal handles kind of guy.

Gendy