Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Dad Gaines is here for a visit. Yesterday we hit up Best Fish Tacos in Ensenada, browsed at Skylight Books, watched a couple episodes of The Office, and ate a stupendous meal at Vermont, where I introduced him to burrata. Today we’re motoring up to Neptune’s Net for piles of fried and steamed seafood by the ocean and then having some kids over for drinks tonight. After that? All basketball, all the time ...
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Shapes Have Fangs
Phil and the Ospers
Call Me Lightning (!)
Fatal Flying Guilloteens (!)
The Mae Shi (!)
Sons & Daughters
The Grand Archive
The Pity Party
The Raveonettes (three times)
Great Lakes Myth Society (!)
The Hard Lessons (three times) (!)
Fucked Up (!)
Dark Meat (!)
Portugal The Man
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
The Cool Kids (!)
Kid Sister (!)
Okkervil River (!)
Justin Townes Earle (!)
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
- GOOD Magazine
- “It’s the end of the world as we know it” (LAT print headline)
- Decent People Beware
- "Grand theft auto times 3," by my former colleague David Zahniser
- "White Girl," by Kate Cosgrove
- “A Clean, Well-Lighted Place”Istanbul through My Eyes
Monday, March 17, 2008
The thing that stands out is the blood.
It's not the friendly banter between Vengeance and Nasty Rob as they exchange blows. It's not the assorted characters cheering the fight, although little Ricky with the mohawk is probably worth his own story. It's not the thud, the deep, hollow sound of 450 pounds of two bodies hitting a dead lawn.
It's the blood, pouring down Nasty Rob's face and clogging his nose. Blood dripping onto the grass and the walkway. Blood stifling his breath to the point where he has to quit. That's what everyone is here for. That's why people will watch this fight when it's posted on YouTube.
It's the blood.
The piece continues with quotes from some experts trying to explain why in God's name anyone would take up such a habit, and some beautiful narrative by Pat detailing the day's fight. Well worth your time.
Story here and audio/video here.
YouTube clips here (with Pat in the background). Warning: very violent.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Trey Rogers now faces stiff competition for biggest star on the Michigan State faculty. The Lawn Geek, renowned for his turf-care prowess, has long been my most beloved MSU expert. But he might have to share that top spot with Dr. Pamela Rasmussen, the Oracle of Ornithology.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Monday, March 10, 2008
Saturday, March 08, 2008
Mike “Mike” Hudson has been burning up the base paths on our baseball blog, 90% Mental. He’s installed something called a tag cloud and thrown up a poll, and is providing near daily spring training reports, aided by his trusty TiVo. This will be a historic baseball season, folks, coming after the Long Clemens Winter and featuring the best lineup in Detroit Tigers history. Time to start paying attention.
Friday, March 07, 2008
Thursday, March 06, 2008
- Using them to fill Michigan's potholes
- Taping them together to make a hang glider for a James Bond-inspired escape from the top of the Michigan National tower
- Cutting them into millions of round pieces, coloring them gold, and pouring them into a vault so that I may swim about them a la Scrooge McDuck
Monday, March 03, 2008
NOTE TO READERS: I make no claims as to the veracity of any of the facts contained within this blog post. If we were to graph my inebriation during the evening, and then overlay that with a graph of important/blog-worthy moments, the lines would follow the same upward path. Except that at about 2:30 a.m., the important events would tail off and my inebriation would hit a steady plateau for the next few hours. In summation, reader beware.
- Jon Brunt and Adrian Rogers are getting married! Is The State News a wedding factory or what?
- Micah Muzio is now an FAA-approved helicopter pilot! I hope to be bringing you a detailed post on a chopper ride with the Air Wolf himself in the not-too-distant future.
- Amy Bevevino and Shane O'Dell are having a baby! Here's to hoping the child will be adorable, but maybe not so adorable that Amy will want to bite it.
Look to this digital space soon for a full report on Los Feliz Pub Crawl Winter 2008, which was a smashing, and smashed, success.