Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good Read

When I quit the Weekly, my co-worker and friend Falling James made me an excellent Detroit mix CD. My favorite band on the mix (which is strong from top to bottom) is the Paybacks, offering rock that's as straight and powerful as a bullet's path. I am, therefore, officially psyched that the band's leader, Wendy Case, has a finely written blog. I stumbled upon it today, and have enjoyed her takes on Amy Winehouse, Christopher Columbus, old record labels, and new writers. It's the first blog I've been excited about in quite a while.

Check 'er out!

Photo courtesy Wendy Case and her rad blog

7 comments:

Huddy Hud Hud said...

I used to work with Wendy Case. She was the DetNews pop music reporter. Cool. She called me Matt a couple times. But I think she knew that I worked there by the end. We talked fairly often in the cafeteria.

Craig said...

That's the coolest thing ever. And now that I'm remembering it correctly, I actually SAW the paybacks in L.A. last year. They opened for Southern Culture, and were righteous.

Chad said...

I rocked out with Wendy at an Electric Six show back in '02 and had no idea who she was - just that she was hellafun to be around.
Years later I tried to interview her for a story after the Jack White/VonBondies punch up and she basically told me to go f--- myself. I really respected her for that.

Craig said...

So I see I'm late to the Wendy Case party ...

Pat said...

I met and fell in love with Wendy Case when I was an officer in the Navy. We lost touch, but I gained wealth as a bootlegger and hosted lavish parties in the hopes she might attend. Then one day, there she was in my home. But by now Wendy was accompanied by her husband, a boorish ex-football star who was also a wealthy banker. She and I resumed our torrid affair, but as it turned out she never loved me like I thought she did.

Then she ran over her husband's mistress with my car. The mistress's husband got pretty angry and shot me, leaving me to die in my pool.

Chad said...

The details of Pat's tryst seem strangely familiar...

Stevo said...

Pat employed me as a living statue for many of those parties.