Friday, December 14, 2007

Going Singular

Today is my last day at the L.A. Weekly. Starting Monday, I will be a full-time freelance word person. It's a move I've been contemplating for years, and have been seriously planning for the past few months. I'm lucky to have built up as much freelance work as I can take while at the Weekly, and cannot resist the urge to see how much more work is out there. If the early returns are any indication, I should have no problem keeping busy: Some initial rounds of e-mails have already scared up extra opportunities.

Becoming the CEO of Craig Gaines Inc. will also allow me to devote time to the creative endeavors I've been ignoring lately. In the coming months I'll be spiffing up this ramshackle blog, devising some Hudson & Gaines episodes, writing pieces for The City Desk, contributing to The Other Style Council, working on another podcast project, and generally riding that unyielding L.A. wave.

I also plan on banging around the globe a bit, with early plans for visits to the Pacific Northwest, New York City, and Istanbul Holy-Mother-of-God Turkey.

In a way, I've been leading up to this move ever since I started Rocket Fever and left Cleveland. That physical and mental break with one era began a years-long transition to this 21st-century, self-deterministic period of my life that will lead me to points unknown. That's what Rocket Fever has always been about: Choosing paths leading to the great wide open. Here I go!

6 comments:

Mike in Glendale said...

Like the Steroid Era ending in baseball...we look forward to these more ethical and more boring years ahead.

Hats off, brother.

Rexrode said...

Kramerica, West Coast style.

The Hall said...

Way to go, Gaines! Turkish coffee = yum.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck friend. Prepare for fame ...

JC

Gendy A. said...

Hey, you have a blog! Who knew? I didn't see you guys at the Museum of JT holiday party. That place is the best place on earth!!

AR in the NW said...

Good luck, Craigary, and congrats on being brave. (Do you have health insurance? Because I haven't had it for two and a half years, and going without gives you all kinds of hypochondria.) Before I got my stupid old job back, I was going to ask you how to become a successful freelancer. So you keep building on that expertise so the next time I quit this stupid job you'll have even better advice.