- A hearty huzzah to Michael "Spotty" Karpus on his marriage to Dana. I was lucky enough to have lunch with the old boy in Miami. I can't think of anyone who better deserves the designation "stand-up guy" than Spotty does.
- I had a great, typically awesome time in Miami. The Gaines family is a small one these days, but the room always seems at capacity when we're all together. The trip featured a fitting tribute to our patriarch, Harold Gaines. We shared some stories about the man that I should commit to this here blog. There was also much eating, watching of football, and Sapo playing.
- I'm stupid excited to go home next week. Not only will it be a chance to laze around during early autumn in Michigan (which represents one of the most perfect time-place pairings you'll find on Earth), but I'll also have the honor of officiating the wedding of Beth Maier and Barry Cook. Guys, I swear I'll have my speech to you soon.
- My body is not in tiptop condition. After working all summer to achieve the basic likeness of Adonis, I'm back to having no muscle definition and a doughy belly. I note this with sadness.
- Michigan State beat Notre Dame. Even though it's not that extraordinary to beat ND anymore, it still gives me whole galaxies of happiness.
- Finally, let us all pause and mark the passing of Oscar Gaines, a good cat who lived a good life. Pop was good enough to welcome Oscar and his brother Hitchcock into our home many years ago. Hitchcock, who also goes by the names Hitchie and Mr. Fluffy, normally attracted the lion's share of popular fascination due to his wild mane and years-long battle with diabetes. But Oscar was happy to go about the business of being a cat in a more straightforward manner. He wanted nothing more than to constantly follow Dad around the house, decimate the furniture with his claws, and enjoy all the small joys and privileges attendant with being a feline. I'll never forget the day Oscar and Hitchcock came home with us. They were both little gray fuzz balls who held no compunction with doing very cute kitten things. After exploring the house for a bit, they walked over to where I was sitting on the floor. One of them climbed up on my head, the other on my shoulder, and promptly fell asleep.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Yeah, I'm Still Here
So it's been a pitifully long time since I've posted. Let's just say Rocket Fever is in the middle of a seasonal transition. I have been so freaking busy for the past month. Not that I'm complaining. It's just too bad the old RF has to suffer because of it. So until I have it in me to write a proper post, let me pass along these notes: