Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The boisterous mayor of my humble, proud hometown, is making noise about merging with its more affluent and economically solid neighbor to the east. The idea is probably silly -- any gains from an increase in population would be negated by Lansing's chronic financial problems. While regionalization of services like fire/EMS makes good sense, creating a "Beast Lansing," as my good friend Steve put it, is merely trying to force an issue that doesn't exist.

What's most striking to me in all this, though, is that -- from people who left comments on the news story, my own Lansing friends, and myself -- the first reaction by Lansingites is: Yeah, right! Like East Lansing would ever take us! The good people of E.L. have said the same thing, but more diplomatically; but that's always been their way: endlessly suspicious and vaguely fearful of Lansing, but dully polite in how they express it. Meanwhile, folks in the Capital City don't give a flip! They call it like they see it. While that often comes out in the form of self-depreciation, I'll always love Lansing's bluntness.

My vote? The East Side of Lansing secede, and rename itself Quaker City.

2 comments:

Solari said...

"..endlessly suspicious and vaguely fearful of Lansing, but dully polite in how they express it."

Did you mean duly polite, or are you calling us folks back here dullards?

Craig said...

No, my friend. I was referring specifically to the people of East Lansing, and their politeness is dull.