Friday, June 01, 2007

Up in Bodega Bay


Memorial Day weekend was an absolute dream. Sonoma County is so beautiful, I almost don't believe it exists. Every time I'm up there, among the rolling hills and under the clear sun, I just want to say, "C'mon. Seriously, this place can't be that gorgeous." Oh, but it is. And, to me, it's a place where nothing can go wrong.

For example, when Ma and Joe and I rolled in to our hotel for the weekend (swank place), we learned our reservations were screwed up. We had a room for that night, but not the rest of the weekend. No biggie: Within a couple hours, my Aunt Mary had found us a beach house on Bodega Bay, which is my new official get-away location. It's where Hitchcock filmed The Birds.

So instead of having fun in a Jazz Fest-crowded Sonoma, we (Mary, Uncle Joel, cousins Raymond and Regina, parents) spent the weekend lounging around a phat house with ample sleeping space, huge TV, big deck, great kitchen, hot tub, beach access, abundant nature, peace, quiet. There was much eating, drinking, sports watching, conversation, a touch of yoga, a beach run (I ran!), walking, blissing out.

Ma and me


The result? All the L.A. bad that I'd accumulated in the past months was flushed out, replaced with a huge infusion of California good. Now I'm back in SoCal, loving life and hitting the boards like an eager rookie. I'm sure Paul Drake knows something about this: Changing your environment every so often can be an incredibly restorative experience.

Infinite thanks to my parents and aunt and uncle for the heavenly weekend. See y'all next Memorial Day!

|||||

The Hudson & Gaines marathon is on the schedule.


1 comment:

micah said...

I really like the look of that "5-TFN" for the marathon's duration. With the right technical problems KERN might become an all H&G station from here on out.