Sunday, January 21, 2007

Rocket Fever Recommends


I know Chad Swiatecki is going to e-mail me and say he saw these guys when they were on that one legendary tour way back when, but, dammit, I listen to music on my own time. Which means years after the band ceases to exist. Thus I've just discovered the amazing Joe, Marc's Brother. I guess they used to be a Nashville thing. All I know is they play my kind of rock 'n' roll. No two songs on Around the Year With sound alike; each is catchy but have a durability that invites multiple listens. And just when you think the band is going too soft and melodic, they start rocking again. Not to mention, this is one of the few times my novice's ear actually pays attention to the drumming.



And I know Ma is going to tell me she read this years ago and did so in one hourlong sitting, but I'm also going to give a shout to Mark Winegardner's Crooked River Burning. Yes, a big reason I like the novel is because it's set in Cleveland, and lovingly so, but it's also shaping up to be a grand story. He takes elements from the North Coast's rich history -- East-Side-vs.-West-Side, Eliot Ness, Alan Freed's Moondog Coronation Ball, the Sheppard case, Short Vincent, Jackie Presser, Celebrezze, Screamin' Jay Hawkins -- and weaves them into a decades-long tale about a rich girl from Shaker and a middle-class guy from Brooklyn. Pick it up, regardless of whether you give a damn about C-town.

|||||

Not a bad weekend, really. Friday featured drinks and talk with various good work folks and then a nightcap with the Sooner kids. Saturday saw me pleasantly hung over for much of the day. Today I watched some football and then attended a neat little musical whose singers were festooned in items found at the 99¢ Only Store. I had to leave the AFC game early. I assume the Pats ran away with it ...

No comments: