Sunday, December 03, 2006

Saturday-Night Bloggin'!

Whoever tells me Sumday by Grandaddy is overrated is a fool.

|||||

Good seeing Sharon Terlep and her girlfriend, Rachel, at a hamburger joint in West Hollywood. Hamburger Mary's. That's what it was called. Also good driving to the joint in Hud's weekend Porsche.

|||||

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm firmly against those baby carriers all the parents have these days. Listen, I don't want to hear your wining about it being difficult to carry the baby. You had the baby, you take responsibility for carrying it. My parents didn't need fancy carrying mechanisms to schlep me around. And I was a fat baby. Ten pounds at birth.

Further, I predict that these kids are going to grow up into a generation of sociopaths. I swear they're being denied an important type of parental contact. And they're all going to become public enemies because of it.

You read it at Rocket Fever first.

|||||

Also went to the Magritte exhibit at LACMA with Ryan and Naz. [Insert intelligent comment about art here.] Then had bang-up Ethiopian food right around the corner. Damn good.

|||||

Further, had a helluva time at the Red Lion with soon-to-be-departing Everett Lawrence and the one and only Court Dog on Friday.

|||||

I'll be home for a few days around New Year's. Probably won't be making it to Detroit, but I'd love to see some Lansing kids.

|||||

Holy crap the weather was amazing today.

|||||

This Jamie Cook anecdote from April is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It happened when he was in L.A. on a movie press junket for Real Detroit. I remember the when and where I was at the time of reading it. I was still living with Mike and Becky, and I yelled down to Mike to read the post right away. We both laughed our asses off for the rest of the morning over it. If you have any experience with Jamie Cook, you'll understand the deep humor in this story. It simultaneously exists in several dimensions. That's all I can say 'bout it.

The morning consisted of roundtable interviews with the screenwriter, a really cool secret service consultant, Eva Longoria and Michael Douglas. Things went well, though people asked some stupid questions. Eva Longoria is tiny, tiny -- like 4-foot-1, 80 pounds. She was really sweet, though, and didn't seem too phony. A bearded Michael Douglas was our last interview; his voice alone is cause for a brief spine tingle, but seeing how much he looks like his dad and recalling how much I loved him as Jack T. Colton and Gordon Gekko made the experience a great one.

After it was over, I headed to the elevator, and wouldn't you know, Michael and Eva jump on with me. I tell Eva (who's dating Spurs guard Tony Parker) that I came in from Detroit and she shot me a faux evil look and said, "Yeah, we don't talk to you people." I then got on her case crowing about the Pistons, and Michael Douglas jumped in because he's a Heat fan, so suffice to say I riled up two celebrities -- plus I farted right when I got on the elevator, and I'm positive the Desperate Houswife smelled what I dealt. It was fantastic.

3 comments:

Hud said...

Anti-baby carrier? That's one of the more bizarre takes I've heard. Last I looked, the carrier makes them able to carry the baby. You somehow feel more comfortable with a loose, barehanding?

I plan some kind of a chaining mechanism, complete with electric collar. Fortunately I still have years and years to prepare for kids.

Craig said...

I want the scientifically proven benefits of parental embrace over the baby cages.

Everett Lawrence said...

I am so with you on the baby contraptions! Not to channel Jerry Seinfeld, but what is the deal with those toddler harnesses that look like leashes? (Not cool--not cool at all.) I mean, I get the idea of giving the children more autonomy and what-have-you, but they're flipping leashes, folks!

By the way, that Jamie Cook anecdote is hysterical!