Thursday, August 17, 2006

Going Batty, But in a Good Way

For the past week or so, I've been listening to the Fruit Bats' Spelled in Bones repeatedly, even though, as Sister says, Mouthfuls is better. As I've said in the past, music writing is stupid. I think scores of music scribes have proven that faithfully describing song in words is impossible. So the only bit of description I'll give is that it's a few guys playing mostly acoustic guitars. Just buy the damn albums.

But I can't figure out why I've developed this flash obsession with Spelled in Bones. There are albums I like better than this one. Some of the songs fall flat to me. But something about it is grabbing me, and I'm not about to argue with it. I'm particularly taken with "Born in the '70s" and "Legs of Bees." Very poppy-catchy, which I'm a sucker for.

Anyone else wearing an album down to its bones lately? Or do we still want to debate whether Barry is the greatest running back of all time?

2 comments:

jon mahalak said...

Um, what's to debate? In re: Barry, I mean.

Craig said...

Well, exactly.